Factors to consider when planning a laboratory refurbishment
Building or refurbishing a laboratory requires careful planning. You need knowledgeable laboratory contractors to ensure that the new space will be safe and compliant with all relevant health and safety and building regulations. Here are some things to think about when planning your laboratory refurbishment:
- Equipment and storage. What equipment will you work with in your laboratory? Where will it be stored?
- Utilities. You’ll need good access to gas, water and electricity. Will you need gas at every workstation? How many sinks and taps do you require, for hands and equipment? Are there any other particular requirements for your laboratory?
- Space. How many people will need to use the laboratory space at the same time? What will they need close at hand? How big should one person’s workspace be? By considering these questions you’ll be able to design a laboratory that makes your work as efficient as possible.
- Ventilation. If you’re working with chemicals it’s vital to have a good ventilation system in place, so you’ll need to plan this into the space.
- Health and safety. Your laboratory must be a safe place to work. Check that your gas engineer is gas safe registered, and carry out a thorough risk assessment on your proposed new workspace to ensure that safe procedures are followed at all times.
- Waste disposal. Will you need an incinerator or other specialist area for dealing with waste disposal?
We’ll be happy to discuss all of the above as part of the planning process for your laboratory construction project.